The Lasso: 100 Years of Student Work
The Lasso is the student newspaper of the Texas Woman's University. It was founded in 1914 by students as an experiment in campus communications. The first issue was distributed Saturday, November 7, 1914. The Department of Journalism took responsibility for the student newspaper when the department began operations in 1925. The student newspaper was a daily publication for decades. It became a weekly newspaper in the 1980s. The Lasso began some online editions in 2003. The Lasso has been in continuous operation since 1914. The University continues to support the student newspaper. The academic home of the Lasso, effective in January of 2006, is the Department of English, Speech, and Foreign Languages. Revenues for the support of the Lasso come from allocations from student service fees under the auspices of the Student Life division and from advertising revenues as well as from private gifts and donations or endowments.
- Notable past editors, including Caro Crawford Brown, ’28, the first female journalist to receive a Pulitzer Prize for local reporting; Grace Robinson New, '46, the first female television news reporter in Dallas; Kathy Williams, ’81, assistant news director for KPRC Channel 2 (NBC) in Houston; and Stacie Walker ’91, award-winning former national news editor for Newsday
- Richard Rocha, ’98, served as the paper’s first male editor from 1996-1997
- The paper was known as The Lass-O until 1986
- It was a weekly publication until 1945 and then was printed four times a week until 1993. It went bi-weekly until adopting its current weekly (published on Thursdays) format in 1996
When TWU dropped its mass communications program in 2002, the paper was housed in the School of Library and Information Studies until 2006, when it moved to its current home under the English, Speech and Foreign Languages Department.